MOVE!, the national weight management program designed by VA's National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (NCP), a part of the Office of Patient Care Services, is designed to help Veterans lose weight, keep it off, and improve their health. MOVE! has helped thousands of Veterans achieve those goals.
If you are carrying extra weight, losing weight and keeping it off can be one of the best things you can do for your health. Excess weight puts you at risk for problems like heart disease, diabetes, some cancers, sleep apnea and gallstones. The best way to manage your weight is to eat wisely and be as physically active as possible. MOVE! and your VA healthcare team can help you at every step along the way to healthy living and a healthy weight.
The foundation of MOVE! care is self-management support. What does that mean? Self-management support empowers you to manage your health and weight. You are the expert on you! MOVE! team members are experts in weight management. They will help you set goals that are important to you, develop steps for reaching your goals, and tackle your challenges along the way.
Participate in MOVE!
MOVE! was originally developed for use with groups of Veterans. MOVE! Group Sessions typically take place at a local VA medical center or clinic. Veterans meet regularly with members of their local MOVE! staff (typically 1 hour each week or every other week) to learn ways to work toward their weight management goals.
Over time, MOVE! has been adapted to make it easier for Veterans to receive weight management support when, where, and how they want. All options of MOVE! care include a focus on nutrition, physical activity, and behavior. Veterans now participate in MOVE! in the following ways:
- MOVE! Telephone Lifestyle Coaching - Veterans receive weight management support via one-on-one telephone calls with a designated coach.
- TeleMOVE! - Veterans get assistance meeting their weight management goals through daily interaction with in-home messaging technologies and with a clinician as needed. To learn more about this technology visit:
- MOVE! Coach with Care - Veterans download the MOVE! Coach mobile app and are guided through a series of self-paced self-management guides. Brief check-ins with a MOVE! clinician may be offered at some VA facilities offering this option. To learn more about MOVE! Coach go to:
Some Veterans participate in MOVE! but also may need more intensive medical treatment for obesity. Intensive treatment options range from very low-calorie diets to weight loss medications to bariatric surgery.
MOVE! is a weight self-management program that can help you improve your health. The first step to a healthy weight and better health is to let your VA Primary Care team know that you are interested in MOVE!.
- Your VA Primary Care Team will encourage you to complete the MOVE!11 Questionnaire. You can complete this at the VA, or you can do this online at:
- Based on your answers, the MOVE!11 produces a report to help identify your specific needs. Print your report and take it with you to your next primary care visit.
- The team will help you set some initial goals such as how much total weight you want to lose, how much you want to lose each week, and your plans for increasing activity and decreasing calories.
- With your team's guidance, you will choose from the support options available at your facility.